Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Healthy orange drizzle bars

I came across this super simple recipe when browsing blogs to find something relatively healthy to bake. Usually when trying new recipes with ingredients I don't usually use they never come out as good as I was hoping, so I was really surprised at how well this recipe turned out. The ground almonds give the cake a great texture, and the chia seeds provide a bit more added nutrition (though if they're not something you usually have in the house I'm sure you could leave them out).





The recipe is from The Toasted Pine Nut. However, I've adapted it a bit (as always), because I didn't have some of the ingredients.

Healthy orange drizzle bars

Recipe notes/substitutions:

  • I completely changed the recipe for the drizzle as I didn't have any coconut oil, and also have absolutely no idea what "coconut manna" is! (It sounds expensive...) However, this means the drizzle isn't as healthy as it should be, as I had to use icing sugar instead. Next time I would use a healthier substitute like agave for the drizzle. 
  • Again, I didn't have agave syrup so I used honey. However, this does give the cake a subtle honey flavour, so next time I would make sure to use agave as I'm not too keen on honey.
  • I used 2 large eggs instead of the 3 used in the original recipe, as her eggs looked very small in comparison to the ones I had.
  • The orange I had was absolutely huge, so I used about half the juice in the cake batter and the rest for the drizzle.
Makes 9 squares

Ingredients:
1 very large orange (or 2 smaller oranges), zested and juiced
2 large eggs
3 tbsp honey (or agave syrup)
2 cups ground almonds
2 tsp chia seeds
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp icing sugar

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 150°c, and line a 9" x 9" pan with greaseproof paper.


2. Zest the orange into a small bowl, then cut in half and juice.



3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey and about half of the juice of the orange.

4. Then add the ground almonds, chia seeds, baking powder and most of the orange zest (leaving about a quarter for the drizzle).


5. Keep mixing until all ingredients are incorporated, then spread the mixture evenly in the baking pan.


6. Bake for around 30 minutes. Once done, remove the cake with the baking paper and place on a plate. Cut into 9 squares and drizzle with the glaze mixture.


These are so delicious on their own, but also really good with yogurt or ice cream!

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment