Thursday, February 9, 2017

Bella's first bake: Chocolate chip oat cookies

This is one of my favourite go-to recipes, as you can probably tell from the grimy state of the recipe page.


I love these because you can basically pretend they are healthy as they have oats in. I often eat them for breakfast which is definitely not healthy but I just tell myself they're basically porridge, right?





Here is the recipe as I have slightly altered it, from this book.

Chocolate chip oat cookies

Makes around 12-14 (depending on size)

115g butter, room temperature
115g light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g self-raising flour
75g rolled oats
150g white, milk and dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (depending on the size of the chunks you want)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
Then cream together the butter and sugar (I'm lazy and use an electric whisk for this part). Add the egg, vanilla, and one spoonful of the flour to stop it curdling and give this another mix.

2. Sift in the rest of the flour and stir through with a metal spoon. Then add the chocolate and oats. 



Continue stirring until it forms a cookie dough, like this:



3. Place use a table spoon to portion the dough on the cookie sheet, make sure to space them as they spread out. I usually have to do 2 batches.



4. Bake for around 12-14 minutes. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes before eating. Definitely best while still warm.





Alice's review:
These cookies greatly impressed both me and my colleague Anna. She said that they were 'great because you're really pleasuring your mouth while making it work at the same time.'

I particularly appreciated the soft consistency and good mix of white to dark chocolate. Often I find chocolate distribution to be lacking but that wasn't the case here.

For next time, I'd like to add another ingredient to the mix. Maybe nuts?

A great first bake 10/10 would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment