Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Date crunchie

Pretty much ever since I've known Bella, I feel like I've told her about this amazing creation. Despite this she's never actually tried it, so I decided to make it again this weekend.

It's basically a flapjack with dates in the middle, it's simple yet delicious. Serve it warm with custard for a filling dessert, or have cold with a cup of tea. The possibilities are endless!

This is an old family recipe so I've converted the measurements from ounces.

Date crunchie

Ingredients:

400g (14oz) rolled oats
110g (4oz) plain flour
225g (8oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) sugar
340g (12oz) dates
350ml (3/4 pint) water

Recipe:

1. Cut up the dates and stew gently so that you have a smooth, thick paste.

Mmm, date paste...
I tend to do this first and leave it on the hob while I prepare the other ingredients.

2. In a very large pan, melt the butter. Once it is melted, add the sugar and dissolve.

3. Pour the dry ingredients into the pan and stir well.

Looks quite like a flapjack
4. Sprinkle half of the oat mixture onto a 20x30cm tin and press down. Pour the dates over the oat layer and then cover with the remaining oats.

Note the date layer hiding underneath
I use a small baking tray for this, it doesn't need to be too deep.

5. Bake at 170°C for 30-40 minutes.

Nice and golden
6. Once out of the oven, mark into pieces and leave to cool in tin.

I hope you enjoy these! I thought they were quite unknown but it would be interesting to find out if anyone else made these when they were growing up...

Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment